South Central Relative Caregiver Program

The Relative Caregiver Program is designed to support children who are not able to be raised by their parents, and are being cared for by grandparents, uncles, aunts or other committed and caring relatives. Through respecting what is unique and special within each family the South Central Relative Caregiver Program provides information and referral about existing resources available, case management, support services, emergency financial assistance, respite, educational and enrichment activities to relatives who are providing care for a child that is not their biological son or daughter.

Our program:

  • Provides and coordinates services for children and relative
    caregivers to access information to available services in the
  • Provides support services and group activities
  • Provides educational workshops empowering caregiver’s skills for optimal care of their related children
  • Provides emergency financial assistance 
  • Provides enrichment and respite “time off” services

Case management or direct services, support services and/or information and referral services have been provided to 238 caregivers and 266 children since November 2006. 

Requirements to be in the program:

  • Must be related to the child by blood, marriage or adoption
  • May have a legal relationship with the child through custody or guardianship, or be raising a child informally

Relative Caregiver Program serves Bedford, Coffee, Giles, Hickman, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Marshall, Maury, Moore, Perry and Wayne counties 

To make a referral contact:

The Center for Family Development
1304 Madison Street
Shelbyville,Tennessee 37160
Phone 931-684-4676 Extensions 206 or 219
Fax 931-684-5140

Relative Caregiver Program is a partnership with the Department of Children’s Services  

Helpful Links for Families

Circle of Parents

FRIENDS National Resource Center

How do I get started?

Contact: The Center for Family Development at
1-888-462-2999 and ask for Sue Fletcher. We will be happy to speak to you and discuss your specific concerns and questions.